Bacon, Tomato and Cheese Strata
Layers of bacon, onions, mushrooms, tomatoes, cheese and bread baked in a savory casserole
Hands On:20 | Total: 55 | Makes: 6 servings (1 piece each)
- PAM® Original No-Stick Cooking Spray
- 8 ounces sliced bacon
- 1 bunch green onions, sliced (6-8 onions = about 1 cup)
- 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 can (14.5 oz each) Hunt’s® Diced Tomatoes with Roasted Garlic, drained
- 8 slices white bread, lightly toasted
- 1-1/2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese (1-1/2 cups = 6 oz)
- 3 eggs
- 1 can (12 oz each) evaporated milk
- 1 tablespoon Gulden’s® Spicy Brown Mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray 8×8-inch baking dish with cooking spray; set aside. Cook bacon in large skillet over medium heat until crisp. Remove bacon from skillet, reserving 2 tablespoons drippings in skillet. Drain bacon on paper towels; set aside. Add onions and mushrooms to drippings in skillet; cook and stir 5 minutes or until onions are crisp-tender. Crumble bacon. Add to vegetable mixture in skillet along with drained tomatoes; mix well.
- Layer 4 slices bread, half of the vegetable mixture and 3/4 cup cheese in prepared dish. Repeat layers. Beat eggs, milk, mustard, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper in medium bowl with wire whisk until well blended. Pour evenly over ingredients in dish; press bread gently into egg mixture. Let stand 10 minutes.
- Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until knife inserted in center comes out clean. Cut into 6 pieces to serve.